Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Snowmen and snowflakes

This morning we woke up to heavy fog and chill air. In a matter of days summer waved sayonara and autumn started unpacking its bags. This is by far my favorite time of year. I love the vibrant colors, the holidays, the crispness in the air, the warm sweaters. It's the best. Some of my favorite memories are set in autumn. My mom loved throwing parties. She really throws the best. I remember one year we had an open house in my sister's (our) old home. The mantle place and book shelves were decorated with orange and red autumn leaves with white christmas lights wrapped around their vines. The whole room seemed to give off a warm, golden glow. The table was sprinkled with goodies. A large pumpkin filled with hearty beef stew was the center piece. We had a big cauldron full of warm apple cider, the dry ice making smokey mist run off the table onto the floor. The house was full of loud laughter and warm bodies. The noise and warmth enhanced by the silent calm and nippy bite of cool weather. That was a good night. 

I remember my friends finally talking me into going to a haunted corn maze. I remember clinging to their arms in the darkness and being too afraid to cover my eyes. I don't think I've ever ran so fast or laughed so hard in my life. It was those cool October nights that made me realize that I had the best sort of friends. 

I remember  begging my parents to take me to a pumpkin patch instead of the store. I remember walking through the rows looking for the biggest pumpkin I could find, excitedly pointing out the very best to my dad. I'm sure I was holding my mom's hand at some point. I was really into that when I was in high school. I loved doing things with my mom and dad, just the three of us. Autumn gave me an excuse to cuddle up close to my folks and talk their ears off. 

Pumpkins hold a special place in my heart. The night Tessa was born we carved pumpkins for Halloween. For the longest time I called Tessa my little "pumpkin seed." This year I get to take my baby to a pumpkin patch for the first time on Saturday.  I get to walk her down the rows and watch her climb and touch and explore every pumpkin she can get her hands on. I don't think there is anything better than getting to share the things you love with your baby for the very first time. Each year I always give Brady a verbal list of everything I want to do during the fall. Jump in leaves! Pick apples! Make apple pie! Corn Maze, at least three times! Pumpkin patch. Carve said pumpkins. Trick or treat. Decorate. The list goes on. And my sweet, sweet Brady listens with a patient smile, putting an imaginary pin in each thing so he can remember to at least try and do some of the things. It's a pretty hefty list.  

As I mentioned above, autumn is upon us and even though I've been anxiously waiting for it's arrival, we couldn't be more unprepared. Tessa has gone shoeless all summer long and likes it that way (thank you very much!). The only shoes I have are the cute rain boots her grandma bought her. She has THE BIGGEST melt down every time they're on her feet. So Tessa chooses to brave the weather in pastel pink socks that are really meant for a 0-6 month old:
Like I've said, we've really been taking advantage of summer over here and now that the weather has cooled down I'm realizing I don't even have matching socks for this little person to wear. Or gloves. Or a hat. Or shoes. We've got to get our rears in gear pronto. She's going to be one surprised lady when mommy does get prepared and she finds herself in the traditional cool weather garb. I imagine mom will be an even more surprised lady when she finds out how loud her girl can scream. My question is, is it worth it folks? Maybe I'll just let her have cold fingers if that's her prerogative. Then again, that'll just mean I'll have a crying baby because her fingers are cold. If I'm going to have a crying baby it might as well be a warm fingered crying baby, I guess. 

Despite the cold, her shoeless feet and her naked head and fingers, Tessa makes sure to get outside as often as she can. Each time looks a little something like this: 
^Outside! Yahoo!^
^Play. Play. Play.^
^Her "Hmmm-is-it-just-me-or-is-it-kind-of-cold" face.^
^Her "Ok-mom-I'm-really-cold-why-did-you-let-me-come-out-here" face.^ 
^Then we go inside and snuggle while she warms up her thumb.^
Happy leave crunching, hot chocolate drinking, pumpkin picking October everyone!

2 comments:

  1. You write so well! Take a class and write a book or poetry. Not kidding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!!! You have one beautiful little girl and I agree fall is the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...