Thursday, September 27, 2012

The time I almost went into labor because of a car, a big city, and LOTS of road signs

(Gosh, this picture stresses me out! Does it do that for you? ) 

Today was Brady's first day in his new lab. He's been trying to set up a time to go in all week (which has been a little difficult) so it was really important for him to be there today. Fifteen minutes after I kissed him goodbye I get a call. He got a little confused with the bus route and missed the bus he was supposed to take. He couldn't wait for the next one to come because it would have made him really late for work, so that meant, you guessed it, he needed a ride...

From me.   In Seattle.   All the way downtown.
Which would also mean I'd need to drive back.   In Seattle.   From all the way downtown.    Alone.

If you know me well, you know I've always hated driving. It took me seven months to get up the courage to drive on the freeway after I got my license. Luckily, I lived in Salt Lake City for so long that I got used to the roads and was able to tolerate it.

But driving around the University of Washington is a different story. Cars on top of cars, tight streets, random twists and turns, a million people, and, of course, you've got your university students who like to pop out of nowhere to cross the road. It's so bad that I can't even relax when someone else is driving.

Yes, that jumbled mess was where we were headed.

I picked him up from the bus stop and a couple of angry drivers and irritated honks later (did I mention I'm also not the best driver?) I finally dropped him off at school.

Brady had to think for a moment what the easiest way for me to get home would be. He repeated the directions not once, not twice but three times. You think even with a forgetful pregnancy brain I'd be able to remember directions repeated that many times in a row.

"Sounds easy enough," I thought and while driving away I repeated them back to myself.

"Let's see. I turn left on Mont...Mont... something. And then I turn left on 45th... or was it right on 45th? And that's supposed to split and I'm supposed to stay on the road that curves and that road is supposed to take me right to Sand... Saaaand... something."

Oh, Dang.

I figured I'd survive remembering at least part of the directions and that things would run fairly smoothly.

Here's the problem.

Apparently, you can't turn left on Monte "something" and there are two different 45th streets, one is 45th Ave and the other is 45th St. I still couldn't remember if I was supposed to turn right or left on 45th so even if I did find the right one I'd be stuck.

Sadly I didn't even know if I was heading North, South, East or West (where are mountains when you need them! [Utah reference]) and Sand "something" was still nowhere to be found.

Needless to say, I was incredibly lost. Two or three times I was tempted to stop and ask for directions but I thought the runny nose, puffy eyes and hyperventilated breathing would scare whoever I asked away.

I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father thought he needed to intervene because somehow I ended up on Sand Point, which just happened to be the Sand "something" I was supposed to be on, and I was able to find my way home from there.

Here's a math equation for you...

Driving in a big city + pregnancy brain - a GPS or compass = one lost mama :)

Also, we bought our nursery furniture today! Cutting it close? Yes, yes we are.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you make me feel lost. That is how it was all those times I visited SLC. White knuckle driving!So moving here was freaky!You will be driving like a native in no time. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...