Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Little reminders.

Yesterday Tessa turned two weeks old. It's amazing how fast time is already flying and how in her two short weeks of life she already has us wrapped around her little finger. Yesterday was also special because Tessa and mommy were on their own for the whole day. I'd like to share that experience with you :) The seasoned moms are going to laugh because they've been there and they know what I'm talking about. As for you moms to be, LISTEN UP! Heavenly Father taught me a lesson yesterday and I hope I never forget it

First half of our day:
Tessa woke up every hour or so during the night and was ready to "officially" start the day at 6AM.
Mom couldn't keep her eyes open. Tessa couldn't keep her eyes closed.
Mom got dressed. Mom dressed Tessa.
First feeding, Tessa spit up all over her clothes and mom's clothes, too.
Mom got redressed. Mom redressed Tessa.
Mom changed Tessa's diaper. Tessa waited until mom finished to poop.
Mom re-changed Tessa's diaper.
Second feeding, Tessa spit up all over her clean clothes and the carpet.
Mom re-redressed Tessa. Mom scrubbed the floor.

Little reminder number one:
Later that afternoon, while sitting on the couch, Tessa lifts up her wobbly head and searches for mom's face. Tessa puts her open mouth right on mom's lips for a big "I love you" kiss.
Late night, early morning-forgotten.
Soiled clothes-forgotten.
Double diaper change-forgotten. 
Mom and Tessa rub noses and snuggle while mom thinks to her self, "this mommy gig isn't so bad." 

Second half of the day:
Living room is a wreck. Mom attempts to clean it. Tessa doesn't want to be put down.
Living room is left uncleaned.
It's mom's day to do the dishes and empty the dishwasher. Tessa doesn't want to be put down.
Dishes are left undone.
Mom still hasn't had a shower. Tessa doesn't want to be put down.
No shower for mom.
Brady comes home. Mommy cries. Tessa cries.
Tessa just wants mom. Mom just wants a bath...alone!

Little reminder number two:
Mom gets her bath and reads The Mother in Me, trying to remind herself that she's not the only one who can't seem to get the "super mom" unitard and cape to fit.
Mom reads about mothers who struggled with nursing and she feels a little better.
She slowly moves through the chapters. She reads about mothers who lost their baby during pregnancy. Those mothers who never get to hold their little ones or see their precious faces. The tears slowly begin to fall.
Mommy misses her Tessa.
She gets dressed and runs to her sleeping baby. Mommy kisses her face and smells her skin and holds her as close as she can. "Thank you Heavenly Father for babies who don't want to be put down..." she whispers. 

Being a mother is a sacrifice. There's no way around it. But...

I'm grateful for those times during the day when Heavenly Father seems to send little reminders that tap me on the heart and help me remember why I'm a mom.

In the eternal perspective this really is a little sacrifice and, gosh you guys, I couldn't be doing anything that would make me happier.

4 comments:

  1. This made me cry! So sweet! I sure miss you and cant wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Kate. The Mother's Prayer is that those little reminders will come over and over again. It's close to 7 years since my first and I still haven't been to the bathroom by myself except in the middle of the night. The day will come when I long for those little child bathroom conversations. I decided to dance with my babies today. Here's a sweet little song that you can dance with Tessa to. Dance with her often. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyxuFUiNPPE&list=PL822B7517C5F8B36F&index=96&feature=plpp_video

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, now I'm crying. I had children in my home for 39 years. Even when the last one was 19 I still had to share whatever I was drinking!(LOL) Yesterday talking with a mom of older young adults, she is struggling because a daughter is struggling. We decided it is way easier when they are little because at least you can hold them a lot and know exactly where they are and what they are doing and tuck them into be etc. Mothering is a sacrifice even when they have all flown the nest but I for one wouldn't trade! All my babies and their babies coming home next week. Wohooo. So much for sacrifice. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That is EXACTLY how it is! I swear living in "family groups" seems like such a good idea. Then all the other adults could take care of the chores for those first several weeks while the new mom figures things out and just has to worry about taking care of baby and herself. Oh well. It does get easier--around six months is when I think I noticed my ability to get a few things done even while caring for the baby, increased. And during all that time I definitely noticed that, despite how the previous day or night had been, I always somehow woke up, looked at my sweet baby, and was recharged to try again. Thank you Heavenly Father!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...