Sunday, May 12, 2013

The best recipe for happiness? Six reasons to love mothers.

1. They Make everything all better.
2. They're One-of-a-kind.
3. They Take such good care of us and treat us nice.
4. Even though it's Hard they always help us.
5. Every time we need them they're Eager to help.
6. We really Really love them!

A few weeks ago my friend Katie and I were talking about mothering. She asked me a question that I've been mulling over all week long, "So, how is mothering?" Flash forward a couple days. Tessa and I were at the park. Tessa was screaming and I was struggling to get the stroller and bags in the trunk without spilling everything all over the parking lot. I was exhausted and it was very apparent in my sweaty face. A group of people, about my age were getting in the car right next to us. They looked from the screaming baby to her haggard mother. A girl said, "That makes me never want to have kids." Another responded, "My thoughts exactly."

As a mother you have to be able to function on little or no sleep. You have to be willing to clean up vomit, and blow outs and who knows what else. You have to put your wants and most of the time your needs last. You're being grabbed with sticky fingers or having your hair pulled or sucked on. Just doing something as simple as going to church or the store is difficult because you're wrestling, chasing, and corralling kids the whole time. It can be discouraging because the only thing you've accomplished is a clean bathroom and most days that doesn't even get done.

And that's where the world gets stuck.

They can only see the tough stuff: A screaming baby and an exhausted mother wrestling a stroller into the trunk. And believe me, the tough stuff is a reality, there is no doubt about that, but it's not the only reality. I've been thinking about Katie's question for weeks and even more so since that incident. I haven't been able to quite answer her question...until today.

So Katie, even though I haven't slept in six months and my hair is constantly dripping with spit here's the answer to your question, "So, how IS mothering?":

click here

2 comments:

  1. Tingles and smiles and tears :). Just the sweetest thing ever. I love being a mother. It really is the most fulfilling and joyful calling. Your family is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video was so precious! It made me smile and cry! 16 yrs. ago I was waiting for my first baby to be born. He was due on May 21 and didn't arrive until June 3rd! I think those 13 days went slower for me than the last 16 yrs.! :) He was definitely worth the wait!
    The youngest of my 5 children turned 7 in April. Oh, how I miss the baby years! Though I must admit it's nice to not be so exhausted or constantly deal with messes, I'd gladly do it again!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...