Monday, March 11, 2013

The best recipe for happiness? Becoming like a little child.

^Over the weekend we went to Green Lake for a walk. Have you ever seen a pair of rosier cheeks and nose?^

Today, I looked in the mirror at the dark circles under my eyes and my make up-less face. I sighed, I've had better looking days. Tessa put my face between her hands and pressed her cheek against my own. To her, my face is flawless.

Today, I spent a little too much time working on an email I really wanted to get done and not enough time comforting my distressed daughter. I sighed and apologized to her for the umpteenth time that day. She snuggled up close to my chest as if it never happened. To Tessa, there couldn't be a better mother. 

Today, my house was messier than usual and didn't get picked up until late that afternoon. I sighed, wishing I had it more together. Tessa played with me on the floor, hardly noticing the mess. To Tessa, there couldn't be a more comfortable, safe place to be. 

Today, Tessa told me I was beautiful, she frankly forgave me, and she reminded me that even the best homes don't always have the cleanest kitchens.  Maybe that is one of the things Christ meant when he asked us to become more like a little child: to understand that people make mistakes and love them regardless. To see the beauty and goodness in others and remind them of that goodness and beauty when they forget. 

Someday, I'd like to be more like Tessa. 

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...